Saturday 27 January 2007

Books finished Jan 26 and 27

Finished January 27th

Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway: Dynamic Techniques for Turning Fear, Indecision and Anger into Power, Action, and Love by Susan Jeffers
This is a book that has been on my to-read list for a while and I finally got it out on unabridged CD and listened to it. As one of the classic self-help books, it has some lessons that I have since heard in later books. I found it interesting though as I often have a fear of starting something in case I don't do it well. This looked back at the root causes of fear and of what we can change in our outlook and behaviours to change our actions. It teaches the reader tools to remain positive, trust one's intuition and say yes to the actions we need to do to grow. I can see why it is a classic.

Finished January 26th

Say Please, Say Thank You: The Respect We Owe One Another by Donald McCullough
This book has been beside my bed for a while and I finished it off last night. The author is a president of a seminary as well as a theological professor, but it doesn't come off as overly religious. The book is all about respecting each other and ourselves. I think a lot of this respect has been lost in the rush of life lately and this just reminds us of what we should be doing.
The book covers many interactions including: acknowledging others assistance; not hurting others' feelings unnecessarily; road (and other types of) rage; respecting occasions and others' time and plans; manners at meals; waiting one's turn (one of my pet peeves!); acknowledging boundaries and cultural differences; apologizing; different forms of communication; listening to others; not talking down to others; keeping secrets; cleaning up after yourself; not imposing your interests on others; following the rules; and strengthening community bonds.
All useful lessons to remember in this busy world of ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment