Saturday 3 February 2007

Musings on Saturday and more books read

I took a book out of the library called The Top Ten: Writers Pick Their Favorite Books. 125 leading American and British authors were asked to provide "a list, ranked, in order, of what you consider the ten greatest works of fiction of all time--novels, story collections, plays, or poems." A few also picked some non-fiction works. The books were given points based on their ranking and an overall ranked list was created. The choices of each author are also given, book summaries are included and other short commentaries. I was fascinated and decided I must have my own copy, so have ordered one.

I was also at the OLA conference this week and got the Dewey Divas Spring list and was pleased to see that I'd already identified some of their chosen books as ones I wanted to read. I also got some more to add to an already long list of reads!

Finished February 2nd
Cockeyed by Ryan Knighton
This memoir by a Langley, B.C. man who began going blind in his teens due to a degenerative condition called retinitis pigmentosa. He talks about his experience from before he knew what was happening to him to the present day. It is a fascinating look at the inner thoughts of someone going blind as well as seeing how his interactions with the world change.
This is on the short list for the Evergreen Book Award.

Finished January 29th
Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh
I listened to this unabridged book on e-audio (my first foray into this format) and thoroughly enjoyed it. This is one of those classics that I always meant to read, but had never got around to actually reading. I can see why it is a classic. It is a book about relationships, with ourselves and with others, and still applicable today. I also enjoyed the format and will definitely use more of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment