Friday 19 October 2007

Great book about Fathers and Daughters

Finished October 19
The First Man in My Life: Daughters Write About Their Fathers edited by Sandra Martin
This collection of memoirs by Canadian women about their fathers was fascinating. I consider myself to have a very good and close relationship with my own father, so the idea of it intrigued me as soon as I heard of it. The fact that these women are Canadian was even better. Not all the relationships between fathers and daughters are good ones, but they all taught the daughter some life skill (or what to avoid doing). Some daughters looked back on the relationship as an adult and talked about how it changed over time, or looked different from that perspective. Some felt the relationship had only grown stronger. This would be a great choice for Christmas periods for those on either side of the relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment