Saturday 3 May 2008

Upsetting Read

Finished May 3
The Labrador Pact by Matt Haig
If you're an animal person, this book may not be for you. I felt sick when I finished, like I'd been kicked in the stomach, and it left me feeling hopeless.
The story is told from the dog's point of view. Prince is adopted as a puppy into the home of Adam and Kate and their two children, Hal and Charlotte. Prince abides by the Labrador pact, with a sense of duty toward his family. He must protect them, keep them safe and always be on the lookout for threats to their wellbeing, not just as individuals, but as a family unit. He is coached by an older lab, Henry, whom he meets on his morning outing to the park. He asks Henry for advice when he senses problems, and does his best to keep his family happy and safe. When he finds that the family's own behaviour is what provides the threat, he is unsure what to do, but tries his best to abide by the pact and do his duty.
With my reaction to the book being so visceral, I really can't recommend it. It is however original in viewpoint, and the story flows and holds together very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment