Monday 18 May 2009

Thriller with Real Life Inspiration

Finished May 18
Eclipse by Richard North Patterson
Patterson was inspired by the real-life story of Ken Saro-Wiwa in Nigeria, a country made up of many tribes speaking many languages.
Rather then try to write of Nigeria Patterson invented a country Luandia that shares the problems of Nigeria. Bobby Okari is inspired by Saro-Wiwa and the other characters are invented from scratch. The story was somewhat interesting to me and that is why I chose to read it.
I didn't find it that gripping for a thriller, and had to force myself to keep reading at points in the novel. It was somewhat interesting to see his take on the politics and corruption involved in the situation, but I didn't find the characters engaging and the pace seemed slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment