Sunday 6 June 2010

Meandering Book

Finished June 6
The Pattern in the Carpet: a personal history with jigsaws by Margaret Drabble
This is by an author I like and I found it very interesting. It was about more than jigsaws, although a theme of jigsaws did meander through it. Drabble associates jigsaws with her Aunt Phyl, who taught her how to do them as a child, and with whom she shared the entertainment on visits as an adult. Besides jigsaws and their history, she also looks into other childhood games and books, mosaics and tesserae, and various bits of social history.
I found that I read this book slowly, both to keep track of all the different sidelines that were introduced and also to savour the reading.
A very enjoyable and entertaining read.

1 comment:

  1. What an interesting book! My father loves jigsaw puzzles and throughout my childhood and up to today, he always has one he is working on. My parents house is decorated with the puzzles my dad put together that's he's glued and framed.

    ReplyDelete