Saturday 6 August 2011

Our Fathers, Ourselves

Finished August 6
Our Fathers, Ourselves: daughters, fathers, and the changing American family by Dr. Peggy Drexler
I got a ebook copy of this from the publisher. I was attracted to it as I feel I have a very good relationship with my father and was interested in the experiences of other woman. The author was drawn to doing this research for a different reason. Her father died when she was three-and-a-half and she was always envious of her friends' relationships with her father and curious about what her own relationship would have been like.
She also watched her husband's relationship with her daughter and saw how it was different from her relationship with her daughter.
She was led to interview a number of women, young and old, about their relationships with their fathers and how they felt about those relationships.
I found her insights from these interesting, and became even happier and more thankful about my relationship with my father. As she found, whether good or bad, our fathers are always with us.

2 comments:

  1. Was the author satisfied with her findings? Father daughter relationships are indeed so varied.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Irene, she was satisfied. It allowed her to deal with her own lack of father and see her husband's relationship with her daughter in a new way.

    ReplyDelete