Sunday 8 January 2012

How the Scots Invented Canada

Finished January 8
How the Scots Invented Canada by Ken McGoogan
This is a wonderful book, a history of Canada in so many ways: politically, economically, culturally. I couldn't believe I hadn't read it earlier.
Ken takes a look at the accomplishments and contributions of Scots and Scottish Canadians over our country's history. From explorers to politicians, inventors to writers, community leaders to iconoclasts, this book takes a wide look at how Scots and people with Scottish ancestry have added to our country's rich heritage. Once I started reading, I could barely put it down. I also liked the way he naturally included women here. So many history books don't, and he's got them but not as token additions.
It is the kind of book that makes you want to go out and do something for your country, to show your patriotism and love for Canada. One of the best books I've read in a long time. I'm definitely going to be telling people to read this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment