Sunday 3 March 2013

Bow Grip

Finished March 3
Bow Grip by Ivan E. Coyote

This is the first book I've read by this author, but I really enjoyed it, could hardly put it down. Joey is a man in his forties, a mechanic who runs his own small shop in Drumheller. A little more than a year ago, Joey's wife of a little more than five years left him for a woman. Joey's mom and friends are worried that he is keeping to himself too much and not moving on. His mom wants him to find a hobby or something. So when someone comes along and offers to buy the car that's been sitting in front of his shop, in exchange for a cello, he figures why not, that'll be his new hobby. And so the story really gets going.
As Joey makes a trip into Calgary to take his wife her last belongings and follow up on another worry he has, he finds himself making new friends, learning new things about himself, and getting on with his life. Joey is a man who doesn't talk much in the normal way of things, keeping a lot to himself, and he has been spending a lot of time lately alone with his dog. He has grown lonely without becoming truly aware of it. As he interacts with new people and begins to come out of himself more, he finds himself a new man.
A very upbeat story, with interesting characters that I'd like to know more about.

2 comments:

  1. I love the sound of this! I like books set in the West, my original home, and this is one that I hadn't heard of yet. Love the concept of a mechanic learning the cello :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed it. I'd seen her books mentioned on the blog Book Mine Set, but never tried one, and when I saw one on the shelf at the library, I picked it up.

    ReplyDelete