Friday 14 June 2013

Here and Now

Finished June 13
Here and Now: Letters 2008 -- 2011 by Paul Auster and J.M. Coetzee

I love Paul Auster, but haven't yet read any of Coetzee's novels. The two authors haven't met often, but they connected and decided to begin a correspondence. While they do talk about writing, their conversation ranges widely from current events to sports, politics to health, friendship to films. They are both very bright men, and I found it interesting to see how they fed off of each other, enlarging their own views as the consider what the other has said. I found that my own thoughts on these topics were awakened and went in interesting directions too. Of course, even in letters, these two are good writers and that is part of the book's appeal too. I found that it was a book I wanted to read slowly, so I could digest and think about what they wrote. To enjoy the writing, and the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment