Saturday 1 February 2014

Beautiful Goodbye

Finished January 31
Beautiful Goodbye by Nancy Runstedler

This children's novel follows young Maggie who has recently lost her father. Maggie is still filled with grief over her loss. Their family has moved across town to a less expensive house and Maggie's mother seems to be working all the time. This means Maggie must babysit her younger brother Cole.
One Saturday when Maggie's best friend Gillian is visiting, she decides to explore the attic in the old house. Gillian discovers a Ouija board, and the two girls decide to try it out by asking a few questions. After all, it is only a game isn't it? The board leads the three children on an adventure they would never have expected and changes them all.
I remember having a Ouija board when I was young, but have no idea what happened to it. I liked this story for what it said about grief and how life goes on despite it. It is also cool that the author is a librarian.

4 comments:

  1. I think Ouija boards are more beneficial as props in moves and books than in the actual sale of the game. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think you are right Kailana. I've haven't heard talk of them from any of the younger generations that I am close to.

    ReplyDelete