Monday 1 August 2016

Down in the Bottom of the Bottom of the Box

Finished July 26
Down in the Bottom of the Bottom of the Box by Jonarno Lawson, paper cuts by Alec Dempster

This book of poetry was one I heard of by word of mouth and ordered from my favourite bookstore. I later found that it was designated as a children's book, but I think it is good for all ages. 
The paper cuts that illustrate it are black and white and very appealing and are inspired by Mexican fandango music, which is full of riddles. To me this adds an additional layer to the poetry. 
The poems use rhyme and rhythm to enchant, but many also use classic folk tales and fables as a basis for the subject, something that again adds an additional layer to the poems. 
I found these poems demanded to be read aloud to gain the full effect, and some of them turned out to be real tongue twisters, adding to the fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment